The Strength of a Million People

“How strong, how full of life and hope I felt as I walked out the bakery.  I opened my arms, burning to hug the new day. The strength of a million people was surging up in me. I felt I could turn the earth upside down down with my littlest finger.  I wanted to dance, to fly in the air and kiss the sun and stars with my singing heart. I, alone, with myself, was enjoying myself for the first time as with grandest company” (157).

Within this quotation, readers can get a better and deeper understanding of the character of Sara Smolinsky.  She is a female character that is full of drive, determination, ambition and most of all hope.  More importantly, this quotation we also learn about the “strenght of million people was surging me up” which can directly suggest that the roles of women were changing in the 1920’s.  Whether it be through jobs, education, or social norms the roles of women were evolving.  Sara uses the strength of people surging her up to help to break free of the traditional roles of women as well her very own life is a testament to the changing times of women.