The Biltmore Hotel was constructed on 43rd Street and Madison Avenue in 1913 using a steel frame and masonry cladding. It was built across the street from Grand Central Terminal by the New York Central Railroad and was a high-end hotel for those traveling by train. The Biltmore had special significance for Fitzgerald, who honeymooned there with his wife Zelda. (The Fitzgeralds’ raucous moments in the Biltmore are depicted in the historical novel Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler.)
The hotel was founded by Gustav Baumann and opened its doors on New Year’s Day 1913, which adds to the significance of it’s use in Fitzgerald’s short story named for the holiday. The hotel has often been associated with love and affairs, even its arrival station in Grand Central was nicknamed “The Kissing Room” (http://www.nyc-architecture.com/GON/GON041.htm).
The Biltmore, unfortunately no longer exists. It was demolished in August 1981, despite fights from preservationists and its landmark status. The steel structure still stands, but the building has been completely rebuilt and is now known simply as 335 Madison Avenue. The famous Biltmore Hotel clock still resides within the new building’s lobby and the connecting tunnel to Grand Central is also still in operation. (http://www.nypap.org/preservation-history/biltmore-hotel/).
See also the NYT article “A Rendezvous Withe 1,000 Rooms”
See select images of the Biltmore below. More information can be found at the Internet Archive.